CholeSeptember 7, 2017
Beetroot HalwaSeptember 7, 2017
White Sauce, with its soothing texture and flavour plays host to not just pasta but crunchy capsicums and broccoli too. Enjoy this creamy, tempting and no-guilt dish.
Silky, smooth and aromatic sauce along with pasta gives you a tummy satisfying one-pot meal. The recipe of white sauce given here is a very versatile one. It can be used for making various dishes and not only just pasta.
- Milk – ½ litre
- Onion – 1
- Cloves – 5
- Butter – 4 tablespoons
- All purpose flour (Maida) – 3 tablespoons
- Thyme – 2 teaspoons – Buy it here
- Pepper – 1 teaspoon
- Mixed herbs – 1 teaspoon – Buy it here
- Chilli flakes – 1 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Pasta – 4 handful
- Capsicum – 2
- Broccoli – 7 to 8 florets
- Oil – 2 teaspoons
- Cheese cubes – 3, grated
- Boil sufficient water and add pasta and 1 teaspoon oil to it. Check if cooked.
- Strain and wash with cold water.
- In a small pan heat oil and cook brocoli and capsicums till done but crisp.
- De-skin the onion and pierce cloves around it. Boil the milk with this onion. Discard the onion and cloves once the milk is boiled. (Refer Notes)
- Heat butter and add flour to it. Mix well. No lumps should be formed.
- Filter the milk and add to the butter flour mixture.
- Let it cook while stirring occasionally till it gets thick.
- Add thyme, pepper, mixed herbs. chilli flakes and salt.
- At the time of serving, add pasta, broccoli and capsicum to the sauce. Top it with grated cheese.
Tips & Tricks
- Always make white sauce in a non-stick pan. With this the milk will never stick at the bottom. Buy it here