Snake Gourd RaitaOctober 25, 2017
Bottle Gourd Curry (South Indian Style)October 31, 2017
Wonderfully flavourful, this potato and bitter gourd curry not only has the crunchiness of peanuts and cashew nuts but also the aroma of sesame seeds and grated coconut. Bitter gourd is a wonder vegetable with immense medicinal benefits including diabetes.
Together these ingredients complement the bitterness of bitter gourd very well, making it an absolute enjoyable dish.
- Bitter Gourd (karela) – ¼ kg, peeled and grated
- Potato – 1 small, peeled and grated
- Mustard seeds – ¼ teaspoon
- Cumin seeds – ¼ teaspoon
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
- Cashew nuts – 1 tablespoon
- Sesame seeds (til) – 1 tablespoon
- Red chilli powder – 1 tablespoon
- Coriander – cumin powder – ½ tablespoon
- Powdered sugar – 1 tablespoon
- Peanuts – 3 tablespoons, roasted, de-skinned and coarsely crushed
- Coconut – 2 tablespoon, grated
- Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon
- Oil – 3 teaspoons
- Salt to taste
- Coriander – to garnish, finely chopped
- Sprinkle salt on the grated bitter gourd. Mix well and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, squeeze the water out of the bitter gourd. Keep aside.
- Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds, cumin seeds.
- Then add asafoetida, turmeric powder, cashew nuts and sesame seeds.
- Add water squeezed bitter gourd and grated potatoes. Add little salt. (As the squeezed bitter gourd contains salt)
- Mix well and cover with a plate to cook. Put some water on the plate. Stir occasionally and cook till the bitter gourd turns soft.
- Once done, add red chilli powder, coriander-cumin powder, sugar, coconut, peanuts and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Serve hot with chapatti or rice.