Happy Fathers DayJune 17, 2018
One of the most famous Maharashtrian recipes, with a cocktail of flavours. Wholesome and tasty white peas are cooked in the tangy tomatoes and pungent onions gravy, not to forget the special coconut and chilli touch.
It is further enhanced when served with chivda and bread.
Do try out and send us your feedback.
- Onions – 2, medium sized
- Tomatoes – 2, medium sized
- Cinnamon – 1 inch
- Cloves – 2
- Coconut – 2tbsp, shredded
- Garlic paste – 1tsp
- Red chilli powder – 3-4tbsp
- Dried white peas (safed vatana) – 2 handful
- Potatoes – 1
- Salt to taste
- Oil – ¼ cup
- Mixed Farsaan – 100gms
- Onions – 2, finely chopped
- Coriander – 1 handful, finely chopped
- Bread or Pav – 10 -12 pieces
- Soak safed vatana overnight. Pressure cook them with a pinch of salt and red chilli powder. Keep aside.
- Boil potato and chop to big chunks. Keep aside.
- Grind together onions, tomatoes, cinnamon, cloves and coconut.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan and sauté garlic paste.
- Then add the above onion-tomato mixture, salt and red chilli powder. Stir well.
- Cook covered till oil floats on top, stirring occasionally.
- Add water to get the desired consistency. (It should be like a thick soup)
- Lastly, add the boiled safed vatana and potatoes.
- To serve, add mixed farsaan in a deep bowl. Pour the above made gravy over it. Granish with onions and coriander.
- Serve hot with bread or pav.